#8: Grilled Squid, Creamy Pasta and Konnyaku Jelly
I can’t believe this is our 8th attempt for cooking! Not bad ah, honestly I’d rather spend the weekends hanging out with Irman rather than watching movie/roam around malls and what have you(s)… So, after our Andorra trip, we wanted to try cooking this dish. Well, this dish has deep meaning okay, cos we celebrated our 1st anniversary together at Andorra with this dish 🙂 So, here we go with grilled squid (it was suppose to be cuttlefish but Geylang run out of it). Apparently when we wanna cook cuttlefish, everyone else wanna cook it too! But when we are at Geylang to cook other dishes, cuttlefish was in abundance. Tsk tsk.
Anyways, this creamy pasta dish is a major comfort food. There’s just something about a mountain of pasta consumed by rich creamy sauce, and studded with large, tender shrimp that has my name written all over it. We paced some for Irman’s eldest sister and am so glad she loves it! So here’s the recipe 🙂
3/4 lb fettuccine or penne pasta (any choice of pasta)
prawns (peeled and cleaned)
1 Tbsp oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1 garlic clove
mussels (we love mussels)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Sprinkle of paprika
Parsley or basil for garnish if desired (to make the dish look presentable and instagram-worthy)
1. Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions and drain. Don’t rinse (this helps the sauce stick to the noodles better). You can put some oil in the water too 🙂
2. Lightly season shrimp with salt, pepper and paprika. Preheat a large skillet to med/high and add 1 Tbsp oil. Once oil is hot, add shrimp in a single layer and cook 1-2 min per side or just until fully cooked and no longer translucent. They should be golden/pink on the outside and opaque white on the inside. Don’t over-do it or they will be rubbery. Remove shrimp to a separate bowl.
3. In same pan, over medium/high heat, add 2 Tbsp butter and onion and sauté onion till golden. Stir in garlic and sauté another minute.
4. Stir in Cream and simmer for 2 min. Next, sprinkle the top with 1/3 cup parmesan (or add to taste) and stir until creamy and smooth. Add about 1/4 tsp paprika and season with S&P to taste.
5. Turn off heat and stir back in the cooked shrimp and drained (un-rinsed pasta). Garnish with parsley, basil, extra parmesan or freshly cracked pepper if desired.
Grilled Squid Ingredients:
8ml olive oil
pinch of chopped parsley
pinch of salt flakes
1. Heat olive oil in a grilling pan
2. Add the squid and grill until cooked
3. Place on a plate and sprinkle with parsley and salt